Wednesday, February 22, 2012

History Project Propsal

History Project Proposal

1. Description of preliminary research.

I have chosen to research the life and disappearance of Ambrose Gwinnett Bierce, an American journalist, satirist and cynic. He was born in Horse Cave settlement, Meigs County[1], Ohio, USA and disappeared in late 1913 or early 1914 presumably on his journey to Chihuahua, Mexico.[2] His last correspondence was with his niece, to whom he wrote a letter stating that “I shall not be here long enough to hear from you, and don't know where I shall be next. Guess it doesn't matter much. Adios, Ambrose."[3] I have read sections of a book relevant to the Mexican Revolution[4] and another relevant to the life of Pancho Villa.[5] These books have helped me consider the possibility that Bierce may not have been involved much in the Mexican Revolution, as most events concerning Americans occurred in 1915 or later.

I have also researched Bierce's life in the military during the American Civil War. He saw atrocities in major battles (such as Shiloh and Missionary Ridge) in the Civil War which some say caused his cynicism. In my research of the American Civil War, I have come across a Union General by the name of William Babcock Hazen. I read through several books and websites searching for any further mention of him to no avail. It was several weeks before I found a website that gave me sufficient information about him.[6] I have also had immense trouble in finding references to the Ninth Indiana Infantry, in which Bierce was a member of.

Research conducted at the NSW State Library has allowed me to gain information about authors and editors who have been involved with their own research of Bierce whose works I could refer to. This research has helped guide me on  where to look for further information about Bierce and the relevant subjects related to his disappearance.

Through my preliminary research, I have decided that my major question will be 'Examine the life of Ambrose Bierce and evaluate the theories regarding his disappearance.' This will allow me to form my own opinion of the circumstances surrounding his disappearance and to evaluate the credibility of other people's differing opinions.

2. Enquiry Questions

I came to become interested in the disappearance of Ambrose Bierce after discovering The Damned Thing, a short story written by him whilst I was researching gothic authors and texts for my Extension English class. I did further research on his life and the context in which he wrote after I discovering how I enjoyed reading his works.

I have decided to ask myself some subsidiary questions to help me answer the question I would most like to answer, 'Examine the life of Ambrose Bierce and evaluate the theories regarding his disappearance':

·         What events were most influential in Bierce's life?

·         Was he a recluse?

·         What did he write, where, when and why?

·         How influential was he in the literary world?

·         Who are the historians that research/have researched Bierce?

·         In what circumstances would Francisco "Pancho" Villa have been involved with Bierce's disappearance?

I have researched and answered, several of these questions so far, and have been most successful with the question 'What events were most influential in Bierce's life?'

3. Research intentions in relation to the areas/texts to examine.

I intend to find and analyse The Unabridged Devils' Dictionary[7]  by David E. Shultz and S.T. Joshi and Ambrose Bierce: Alone in Bad Company[8] by Roy Morris Jr. to discover even more Ambrose Bierce and opinions in regards to him and/or his disappearance. I also wish to more thoroughly examine the sources I have already collected as they may lead me on a different trail or to new sources which may help with my investigation. I am also planning to listen to podcasts about the American Civil War and the Mexican Revolution[9]. I may also send an email to the Ambrose Bierce Project to ask them if they have any letters or know of a place where I could obtain them.

4. Research intentions in relation to methodology

My project will centre around an historical biography and an historical controversy. Investigating Ambrose Bierce's  life will aid in understanding the controversy surrounding his disappearance, as will understanding the historians who have researched him, such as Craig A. Warren and associates.

The methods I will use will be further research into the American Civil War and Mexico in 1914 and further analysis of my current sources and find the opinions of other people in relation to Bierce's death.



[1] The Ambrose Bierce Appreciation Society, 1994-2004, 20/2/2012  <http://biercephile.com/>
[2] Ambrose Bierce Project, Penn State University, Pennsylvania USA, Craig A. Warren,  2008, 14/12/2011, http://www.ambrosebierce.org/
[3] Rich Geib, Ambrose Bierce Bids Farewell to his Niece Lora, October 9, 1996,  Last modified: 12/4/06, 19/2/2012, <http://www.rjgeib.com/thoughts/bierce/ambrose-bierce.html>
[4] Mexico: An Encyclopedia of Contemporary Culture and History, Don M Coerrer, Suzanne B. Pasztor and Robert M. Buffington, ABC-CLIO, Copyright 2004, pg 378, 532
[5] Concise Encyclopedia of Mexico, edited by Michael S. Werner, Chicago and London: Fitzroy Dearbon Publishers, 2001, pg 794-97, pg 136
[6]Arlington National Cemetery Website, copyright 1994-2011, updated 10th May 2011, 22/1/2012 <http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/wbhazen.htm>
[7] David E. Shultz, The Unabridged Devil's Dictionary, University of Georgia Press; 1st edition, USA, 2000
[8] Roy Morris Jr., Ambrose Bierce: Alone in Bad Company, Oxford University Press, USA, 1999
[9] In Our Time Archive: History, BBC, January 20 2011, IOTH: The Mexican Revolution

No comments:

Post a Comment