As I was searching for a reference to the woman on the steamboat at the Battle of Shiloh on the internet, I cam across a blog dedicated to General Ulysses S. Grant with this interesting fictional letter signed Ambrose Bierce:
"This is a historical fiction letter that could have been written from one of the
Union soldiers in the Battle of
Shiloh
My Darling Wife,
I write to you with a heavy heart to tell
you of the most recent battle at Shiloh. I was virtually uninjured expect for a
broken foot and several deep cuts. I cannot say the same for most of the other
men in my regiment. My two good friends Claude Hopkins and Fletcher Gownson were
brutally killed. As I was fighting, I saw them both go down to my right. I
foolishly stopped to look around the battlefield and saw hundreds of men
littering the fields all dead, dying, or wounded. This is also when a
Confederate soldier tried to blow off my foot, but only succeeded breaking it. I
tried to keep fighting, but I could barely walk. A medic came onto the field to
help me to the medical tent. As I limped through, I heard the screams of the
dying and the wounded. I looked to my left and saw a young man, no more than 20
getting his leg amputated. I can still hear his screams sometimes. One of the
nurses bandaged and splinted my foot and stitched one particularly deep cut on
my arm. To be truthful, the only reason I am still alive is because I was taken
off the field to recieve medical attention. After the battle ended, I went with
what was left of my regiment to see the outcome and what I saw will haunt me for
life. The bodies of men that I knew, and many more that I didn't, strewn all
throughout the field. There were men going around to check to see if the men
lying on the field could be saved, or if they were already dead. The smell of
blood and gun powder was all around me. These men and boys were supposed to have
along life ahead of them. They were meant to live, but now they will never get
to go home to see their loved ones and the ones they left
behind.
Your faithful husband,
Ambrose Bierce"
http://sgacivilwar.weebly.com/the-public-response-to-the-battle-of-shiloh.html
I was very much astounded when I saw the name signed at the bottom as I did not know such a letter existed. Bierce was not married at such a time, so it is definitly fictional. This letter therefore confirms, if it is indeed written by Bierce, the full effect Shiloh had on him. It is with no doubt then, that Shiloh would have impacted profusely on any soldier involved in the campaign.
No comments:
Post a Comment