Bierce also portrays men from the South joining the Union
army. This is shown in The Affair at
Coulter's Notch and A Horseman in the
Sky. In both stories, the result of having a family divided by the war is
devastating. "Do you happen to know that Captain Coulter is from the South?"[1]
foreshadows the wreckage in the future. At the end of The Affair at Coulter's Notch, we discover that Coulter's home has
been largely destroyed by guns. He is found cradling his wife and child in the basement
which is not bomb-proof. He was also involved in an argument with his extended
family, just like the main character in A Horseman in the Sky. In this story
however, the main character shoots his father's horse, causing both his father
and the horse to fall off a cliff to their death. The shock of this occurrence
extends both to the young soldier and his commanding officer. These two stories
demonstrate the destructive nature of war, which Bierce himself has
experienced. This portrayal also conveys the length to which soldiers carried
out their duties over familial connection.
"After firing
his shot, Private Carter Druse reloaded his rifle and resumed his watch. Ten
minutes had hardly passed when a Federal sergeant crept cautiously to him on
hands and knees. Druse neither turned his head nor looked at him, but lay
without motion or sign of recognition.
'Did you fire?' the
sergeant whispered.
'Yes.'
'At what?'
'A horse. It was
standing on yonder rock - pretty far out. You see it is no longer there. It
went over the cliff.'
The man's face was
white, but he showed no other sign of emotion. Having answered, he turned away
his eyes and said no more. The sergeant did not understand.
'See here, Druse?' he
said, after a moment's silence, 'it's no use making a mystery. I order you to
report. Was there anybody on the horse?'
'Yes.'
'Well?'
'My father.'
[1] An
Affair at Coulter's Notch
[2] A
Horseman in the Sky
I am curious as to whether or not I should include the extract of A Horseman in the Sky. I shall decide on a later date and hopefully in consult with another.
I am curious as to whether or not I should include the extract of A Horseman in the Sky. I shall decide on a later date and hopefully in consult with another.
No comments:
Post a Comment