Wednesday, August 22, 2012

What I Saw of Shiloh


What I Saw of Shiloh is a useful source in discerning the happenings at Shiloh on "the sixth day of April, 1862". It also brings to light the fact that "Little negroes of not very clearly defined status and function"[1] were involved in the Union army. It also provides very useful information on the topic of the movements of the generals Grant and Buell as well as the Confederate forces led by Johnston. He describes how Buell's "thirty thousand men was moving from Nashville to join"[2] Grant. He describes the steamboats as "looking very much like turtles" as only a veteran of the battle could. The "woman" whose "mission, as she understood it, was to inspire the failing heart with courage" was possibly the wife of Brigadier General William H. L. Wallace whose name was Ann.[3] This shows a keen eye for useful aspects which he then continued relaying th final moments of the battle.

"there swept past us and over us into the open field a long regiment with fixed bayonets and rifles on the right soldier. Another followed, and another; two- three - four!...Then for the first time we note the silence of the whole region is not comparative, but absolute."[4]



[1] What I Saw of Shiloh
[2] What I saw of Shiloh
[3] Alone in Bad COmpany pg 3-
[4] What I Saw of Shiloh

No comments:

Post a Comment